I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 296/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 659

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Vegan Potage au Cresson


I special ordered a bunch of watercress from our green grocer and was thrilled when he called to say that they had come in. I had never bought watercress before - but I even called Mom about 'Creasy Greens' - they used to grow by the creekbank and my sister and I would cook them on our Susie Homemaker stove - Creasy Greens are related to the watercress and they have the same peppery flavor. Scout loved the little bundle and asked if we could 'grow' them - so we popped them in a dish and set them on the counter - I'll let you know how that turns out...

First you follow the directions for Potage Parmentier omitting the cream and butter until later - add a cup of packed greens (tops and tender stems)...

...simmer for 5 minutes...

...process with a food mill...

...garnish with a few watercress leaves boiled for 1/2 minute in water - rinsed and drained...

...This made a lovely 'green' soup for St. Patrick's Day - although Scout didn't like the flavor of the cress raw - he liked it in the soup...

Recipe link here.

Substitutions:
Earth Balance for butter
Soy Milk with 2 Tablespoons of Soy Milk Powder (Better than Milk) for cream

2 comments:

  1. Watercress is very popular here and easily available. I love its peppery taste and it is good in green salad.

    I've made watercress soup before, different from this, but very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete