I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Monday, February 15, 2010

VEGAN CONCOMBRES AU BEURRE


Have you ever had baked cucumbers?

...Nope - neither had I - the perfect cucumbers were always summery and crisp and fresh from the garden for me...

...but I was intrigued by Julia's baked cucumbers - several versions - here is the first and simplest...

...peel your cucumbers...

...slice in half...

...scoop out the seeds...

...slice into 3/8 inch strips...

...cut stips into 2 inch pieces...

...Julia says the water must be drawn off before cooking or you'll end up with mush...so you make a marinade - with vinegar...

...and salt...

...and sugar...

...toss in your cucumbers...

and let sit for 30 minutes - or several hours...

...a lot of water does come out...

...drain on a towel...

..melt some vegan margarine and add some herbs...

...toss in your cucumbers and stir to coat...

...they bake for an hour and Julia says they will colour very little...

They were very pretty and just a little bit to salty - I think next time - I'll rinse them before I pat them dry - it wound up being OK though because the 'fish' was not quite salty enough...

Substitutions:
Earth Balance for butter

No comments:

Post a Comment