I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 551/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Vegan Croquettes

[Crèmes Frites, Fondues, Cromesquis]

...I've been putting this recipe off for quite a while because I really though these little 'fried crèmes' would be a total fail...I thought they would just burst and disintegrate when they were fried...

...so I was quite shocked when they turned out perfectly...haha...
...Julia says to make your cream extra thick as you spread it in a dish about an inch deep and let it solidify...I used vegan cheddar instead of vegan swiss...
...after it sets up you cut it into one inch cubes...
...dredge it in flour and a vegan egg wash...I mixed some almond milk and flax seed goo for that...
...and then into some white bread crumbs...
...if they get misshapened...Julia says to sort of squish them back into little cubes...
...I set up the deep fryer on the back porch...I almost never deep fry food...and I always fry outside...
...they did not explode as I thought they would...but fried to a perfect golden brown...
...you can see that one in front has just started to ooze a little bit of cream...
...so I broke one open and gave it a quick taste...it is so delicious...crispy and creamy...
...we had them on little sticks as an appetizer with a glass of wine...
...these are really delicious...and I think that I'll use this exact recipe and method to make them into jalapeno poppers in the future...really really good...

Substitutions:

Earth Balance for Butter
Almond milk for the cream
Flax Seed Goo for the egg yolk
Vegan Cheese for the cheese

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 202-203)

1 comment:

  1. How fun!! I agree though, I would have expected them to fall apart. Love,K

    ReplyDelete