I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 551/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

VEGAN MOUSSE DE FOIES DE VOLAILLE

[Vegan Chicken Liver Mousse]

....Julia says this "mousse may be packed into a decorative jar and used as a spread for cocktail appetizers"...so that's what we did with it...
...like I've done before when I've needed to create a vegan liver...I used a combination of walnuts, lentils, mushrooms and marmite...
...and just cooked that all together...
...until done and soft enough to blend...
...then you sauté some onions...
...and add some Madeira or cognac...but I only had some white wine...so I used that instead...
...and then you boil that down rapidly until it's reduced to about 3 tablespoons...
...and then for the cream I used almond milk mixed with just a little bit of flour...
...so instead of adding that directly to the blender jar...I cooked it a bit first...
...then I put everything into the blender jar...salt, pepper, allspice and thyme...I thought the allspice was a bit odd...she only called for 1/8 teaspoon and I didn't but in even that much...just a shake...
...and blended it with the stick blender...
...until it was pretty smooth...
...and poured it into a bowl...not really a decorative one though...
...covered with waxed paper and in the fridge to chill...
...it was cool...but not really set when we took it out...
...but it was still perfect for spreading on toast...
...it was really good...a nice flavorful spread...

Substitutions

Vegan liver - a combination of walnuts, lentils, mushrooms and marmite
Vegan Cream - we used homemade almond milk with a little bit of flour - cooked until thick like cream
Vegan butter...we used Earth Balance

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 559-560

1 comment:

  1. Interesting...not something I would normally think of to make....Love, K

    ReplyDelete