I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 543/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, June 25, 2024

VEGAN JAMBON BRAISÉ MORVANDELLE

[Vegan Ham Braised in Wine — Vegan Cream and Mushroom Sauce]

...Julia's recipe is for 16-20 people...yikes...I won't be making nearly that much...
...you start by slicing some onion...
...and some carrot....
...and sauté that in some vegan butter in the casserole dish...
...I added my herbs to my tea ball...parsley, bay leaf, peppercorns, thyme, and cloves...I used one...
...add your vegan ham to the casserole...and the white wine...
...add some vegan beef broth...and cook in the oven...
I put mine in the toaster oven on the back porch to avoid heating up the big oven..it's so hot here...
...when it's done...take it out of the casserole to a wire rack...and sprinkle with powdered sugar...
...then put it back in the oven for about 15 minutes...
...until lightly browned...
...then make the mushroom cream sauce...
...sauté until browned...
...degrease with some of the roasting liquid...
...mix flour and vegan butter into a paste...
...beat in the flour/butter and cream...
...we served ours with peas and crusty leftover Greek bread...
...peas go so well with a creamy musrhoom sauce...it was really good...

Substitutions:

Vegan Ham...I just made a quick ham patty using TVP and VWG...but if you're more ambitious than that...I often make Tracy's Version...but you'll have to go to the WayBackMachine to get that...
Vegan Beef Bouillon
Vegan Margarine for Butter - I used Earth Balance...

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 391-392)

No comments:

Post a Comment