I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 543/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Vegan Veau Poêlé à la Matignon

[Vegan Casserole-roasted Veal with Diced Vegetables]

...this is just a diced veg version of the VEGAN VEAU POÊLÉ [Casserole Roasted Veal]...
...start by dicing your carrots and onions...as small as you'd like...Julia suggests 1/8 inch...that's pretty small...
...brown your vegan veal...I'm using seitan cutlets this time instead of the big roast...and remove it from the pan...
...cook your diced veg in vegan butter for 10 minutes or so...
...add the Madeira...
...and boil it down until it is mostly evaporated...
...then add the vegan veal back to the pan...Julia does all of this in her casserole dish...and I'm sort of afraid of cooking with the glass casserole dish on the stovetop...I have seen it done though so I may try it...
...then Julia says to proceed with the master recipe...I put my herb bouquet in my tea ball as I usually do to save some of the floaty bits from getting into the sauce...and I'm adding some vegan bacon bits to the tea ball as well...Julia specifies laying strips of vegan bacon on top of the seitan...but I don't have any...so I'm using the bits...
...then you cover it with foil and roast it in the oven...
...remove the herb bouquet...
...add the vegan brown stock...
...then remove the seitan and the veg...
...and add the starch mixture...Julia suggests adding truffle oil...but I don't really like truffles so I'm not doing that...
...and I'm cooking the sauce on low heat in the glass casserole...
...and it didn't shatter...so brave...haha...
...we served the vegan veal with sautéed zucchini rounds and a baked potato and salad...
...poured the sauce over...Julia says to "Ladle a spoonful of sauce and vegetables over the (vegan) meat."
...it was pretty yummy seitan and gravy...

Substitutions:

Seitan for the Veau
Vegan broth for the broth
Vegan butter


Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

pp. 353-354

1 comment: