I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Vegan Homard, Crabe, ou Crevettes en Aspic

[Vegan Lobster, Crab, or Shrimp in Aspic]

...this is a variation of the same 'en Aspic' recipe for chicken liver...and I'm doing it first because it sounds slightly better to me than the liver version...but I do think that this sort of Luncheon/Cold Buffet dish has pretty much gone out of style...I think that gatherings in general have gotten a lot less formal...and these recipes were written in an era when most women still did not work outside of the home...so midday visits with other women were probably a lot more common...

...it's not a particularly difficult or time consuming recipe...
...I'm using my lobster mushrooms for the lobster...just simmering them in some seaweed flavored broth...
...sauteeing some shallots...
...added some agar agar to the broth and then boiled for a few minutes...
...poured it into a ramekin mold...then into the fridge to chill...
...unmolded over some lettuce leaves as suggested...
...it's just really odd...it doesn't look very appetizing to me...
...it tastes ok though...a savory sort of jello bite...still weird though...

Substitutions:

Earth Balance for Butter
Broth made with vegetable bouillon and nori
Lobster Mushrooms for the lobster
Agar Agar for the gelatin

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking p. 549

No comments:

Post a Comment