I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Vegan Fonds Brun

[Vegan Brown Stock]

...Julia says that 'Brown stock is used for brown sauces, consommes, and for the braising of vegetables...and I plan to use the broth for cooking some collards in a little bit...
...she also says...'To give the stock a good color, the meat, bones, and vegetables are browned before they go into the kettle...and she does this in the oven...
...but I thought I'd use my new grill/griddle to accomplish that...it's quicker...and I get a nice caramelization using the griddle...
...Julia puts her herbs in cheesecloth...but I use my tea ball for that...it's thyme...bay leaf...parsley sprigs...and 2 whole cloves...
...put that and the browned veg into a pot...with some celery...a clove of garlic...
...I added a beef bouillon cube and covered it all with water...
...and some Gardein beefless tips...
...set it over moderate heat...and then there's a really long cooking time...maintain liquid at a very quiet simmer — just a bubble or two of motion at the surface — for 4 to 5 hours or more...
...and then I just poured the broth into a jar to use a little bit later...

Substitutions:

vegan beef bouillon
Gardein beefless tips for the beef shank meat, cracked beef and veal bones

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 110)

2 comments:

  1. I'm still using that Greens Seasoning that you got for me - love it. I use it for pretty much any veggie, not just greens. Gives veggies quite the "zip". Your broth looks tasty but time-consuming! Love, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey K,
      ...I did make the collards and they were delicious...probably a bit too much trouble to go to for that too...and the broth is a little bit sweet from the carrots so that was an interesting little twist...I love the Greens Seasoning too...let me know if you need more...haha...
      Love,
      T

      Delete