I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Vegan Farce Duxelles

[Vegan Mushroom Stuffing]

...we had about half of the Vegan Poulet Rôti leftover and I thought this stuffing would be a good way to serve it again...
...mince some mushrooms and then twist the mushrooms into a ball in the corner of a towel to extract their juice...
...mince some shallots or green onions...
...and saute them in hot butter and oil with the shallots or onions for 5 to 8 minutes...
...then to sub for the liver and gizzards...I used some black walnuts...I've had good results using walnuts as a sub for iron-y tasting offal...
...pour the wine into the mushroom cooking skillet and boil it down rapidly...
...adding the breadcrumbs...
...and the vegan cream cheese and vegan butter...
...Julia says to do the 'mixing' in a bowl...but I used used the same pan for everything...
...added tarragon and parsley...I wanted to add sage...of course...as that's the herb I most associate with stuffing...but I did not...haha...
...and this is the leftover piece of the Vegan Poulet Rôti...
...so... I just cut a slit into it and opened it up and stuffed if full...
...and plated the stuffed Vegan Poulet Rôti on a bed of the remaining stuffing...
...and this will probably be the last meal on the Christmas dishes for this year...we'll undecorate on the 6th...(Epiphany)... ...simply served with peas and carrots and rice...
...it was a delicious way to serve the Christmas Dinner leftovers...

Substitutions:

Black Walnuts for the liver
Vegan Cream Cheese...we used Violife
Vegan butter...we used Earth Balance...

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 251-252)

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. I think I would have skipped the squeezing the mushrooms. Couldn't you just saute them a little longer to dry them out a bit? Love, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey K,
      ...I'm sure...and I'm not sure why Julia says to do that...but she often does...
      Love,
      T

      Delete