I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, March 30, 2021

VEGAN PURÉE DE POMMES DE TERRE À L’AIL

[Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes]

...Y'all know that I keep a spreadsheet to track which recipes I've completed...and I was surprised that we'd never attempted this one...because...potatoes...

...this recipe is a test run for our Easter Sunday dinner...we're going to have a vegan version of Julia's GIGOT DE PRÉ-SALÉ RÔTI...and she says that these garlic mashed potatoes go with roast lamb...

...this is what Julia says about this recipe..."Two whole heads of garlic will seem like a horrifying amount if you have not made this type of recipe before. But if less is used, you will regret it, for the long cooking of the garlic removes all of its harsh strength, leaving just a pleasant flavor. Garlic mashed potatoes go with roast lamb, pork, goose, or sausages."

...however...I did not take her advice...I'm definitely not putting two whole heads of garlic in anything...I'm quite sure that I only want a hint of garlic...
...and you start with the "long cooking" of the garlic...I'm still using up the chopped garlic that we got from Sysco...Julia says about 30 cloves...(Holy Buckets...as they would say in North Dakota...never understood that one)...so...I used a couple of teaspoons of chopped garlic...and it smells plenty garlic-ky...

...you blanch the garlic...drain...and rinse...and then cook slowly without browning for about 20 minutes...(not really that long when it comes to Julia's vegetable cook times...haha)
...then you blend in a couple to tablespoons of flour...also without browning...
...and then add boiling milk...
...and you'll have a really garlic-ky gravy...
...simmer for a couple of minutes...Julia says this can be done ahead of time...and then reheated when you're ready to add it to the potatoes...
...now...on to the potatoes...peel and quarter them...and boil until tender...
...Drain immediately...
... and put through a potato ricer....
...I got my potato ricer from Williams-Sonoma years ago...I really like it...but rarely use it...
...I used the smaller holed disk...and got a thin spaghetti sized rice...I thought the next step was a little bit odd...and a little bit unnecessary...just because my potatoes were already pretty dry...
...you put this puree back over the heat to evaporate moisture....
...Julia says to stir until a film forms on the bottom of the pan...
...then you beat in the vegan butter...
...and just before serving you add your garlic sauce...
...and just whip that into the potato puree...
...for this trial run...we had the garlic mashed potatoes with vegan sausage and cabbage...
...and I liked them...they're really good and creamy...and even with just 2 teaspoons of garlic...they are very garlic-ky...so use the 30 cloves at your own risk...

Substitutions

...Earth Balance for the butter...
...vegan cream for the cream - I used Silk...

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking p. 517

2 comments:

  1. Haha, 30 cloves of garlic does seem extreme! Looks yummy, as always of course. Love, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey K,
      ....I know...Julia uses the word "horrifying"...haha...
      Love,
      T

      Delete