I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

...VEGAN GRATIN DAUHINOIS...

[Vegan Scalloped Potatoes, with Milk, Cheese and a Pinch of Garlic]

Julia says there are many authentic versions of this dish...and she prefers this one because it is fast, simple and savory...

...I agree...although fast is not really a word I associate with any of her recipes...haha...

...you start by cooking the potatoes...which I thought was a little bit odd as I've never precooked the potatoes for a scalloped dish...but maybe that's why she says it's 'fast'...
...while your potatoes are cooking...cut a garlic clove in half...
...and rub the baking dish with the cut garlic...
...and then smear it with vegan butter...I used Earth Balance...
...I got some frozen vegan cheeze out and grated it...Julia suggests swiss...but this is Miyoko's recipe for mozzarella...it grates pretty well...and melts and browns well too...
...slice up your cooked potatoes...
...and layer them in the prepared dish...
...top with the grated cheeze...
...add some salt and pepper with each layer...
...and pour over the boiling vegan milk...I just used plain unsweetened almond milk...heated in the microwave...
...and you're ready for the oven...
...bake for about 30 minutes...until the milk has been absorbed and the top is lightly browned...
...this was a perfect side dish for a simple supper of baked tofu and salad...
...absolutely delicious...and Julia was right it was pretty fast and simple...

Substitutions:

Vegan Milk - I used plain unsweetened almond milk
Vegan butter - I used Earth Balance.

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 523)

3 comments:

  1. Haha! I made a dish that looked pretty much identical...but I had a Betty Crocker box - I picked up some odd things like that 6 months ago when I was doing my provisioning. Just to have in case we ran out of fresh potatoes. It was "ok"...not fabulous. But was a nice change from my normal items. Yours looks much better! Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had gratin dauphinois, but it definitely is something I would like to give a try one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Babette,
      ...it was really good and pretty simple to make...
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete