I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

VEGAN CÉLERIS BRAISÉS

[Braised Celery]

...Julia says that celery is braised much the same way as lettuce...which I've already done...so you can check out VEGAN LAITUES BRAISÉES...

...and I went ahead and did the separate sauce for cold braised celery...as that was the only difference in the recipes...and we had that the next day...
...you start by trimming the tops and bottoms of the bunch of celery...
...wash well and trim off the stringy parts...
...then tie the bunch of celery together with white kitchen string...
...just put it into the boiling water...
...and cook it for a really long time...15 minutes...
...take it out and drain it...
...cook some onions and carrots in a casserole...
...arrange the celery in the casserole...
...blanch some veggie bacon in some water...
...and arrange that over the top...
...I flipped it over to make it prettier...
...add some dry white wine...
...and some veggie beef stock...
...and your herb bouquet...I put mine in a teaball...
...cover and cook for a REALLY long time...1 1/2 hours...
...and your celery should be really...really well done...
...drain the braising liquid...

...I separated mine...because I wanted to go ahead and make the reduced unthickened sauce for the Cold Braised Celery...

...so...mix some cornstarch with some stock...and add that in...off heat...
...then pour the thickened sauce back over the celery...and serve...
...we had ours with baked tofu and rice...
...and it was really pretty good...and I was pretty skeptical about it before...
...but I enjoyed it...and would make it again...always the gauge of a good recipe...right?...

Substitutions:
Veggie bacon - I used Smart Bacon
Vegan Beef Bouillon for the beef stock
Earth Balance for the butter

Recipe here: Scribd and then search for Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 491-492

No comments:

Post a Comment