I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Vegan Egg Yolk and Cream Enrichment...Take Deux

[Sauce Parisienne - formerly Sauce Allemande]

...when you've been at this Mastering the Art of French Cooking thing as long as I have...you're bound to make the same recipe more than once...

...I don't always post the second time around here though...because most of the time I'm not doing anything different...it was just something we really liked and I make it the same way...and I don't get any 'credit' for doing it again...I don't get to increment my counter...so I usually don't post it again...

...but this sauce is different...since I'd gotten the Vegan Egg...I thought I'd revisit some of the recipes that rely heavily on eggs...and now based on what you have on hand you've got a couple of options for this creamy smooth sauce...

...and I'm still not sure why this title is in English...and the bracketed subtitle is in French...

...first...I made a VEGAN SAUCE BÉCHAMEL...
...then I mixed up some Vegan Egg...just using the package instructions...
...then for the cream enrichment...I added some Cashew Cream...
...and just whisked that into the Vegan Egg...
...and then just like with real eggs...you add some of the hot BÉCHAMEL a few drops at a time...so you don't scramble your Vegan Eggs...
...and then you pour this tempered mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the Vegan BÉCHAMEL...
...then Julia specifies that you use a wooden spoon...and stir constantly over medium high heat...
...boil and stir for 1 minute...
...season with salt...
...white pepper...
...and lemon juice...
...then strain through a fine mesh sieve...
...to remove and coagulated bits of egg...
...and these Vegan Eggs are so much like real eggs that there actually were bits of coagulated vegan egg...so I'm really glad that I did this step...
...add some Earth Balance...
...and you'll have a perfectly creamy and velvety smooth sauce...
...to dress up a rather plain 'Breast of Tofu' dinner...
...Julia says that sauces with egg yolk and cream are among the richest and most velvety in all the French repertoire...and I couldn't agree more...

Substitutions

Vegan Egg for the eggs
Earth Balance for the butter
Cashew Cream for the cream

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 60-61

1 comment:

  1. interesting....and funny that the "egg" curdled like the "chicken kind!" love,k

    ReplyDelete