I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Vegan Épinards au Jus

[Spinach braised in Stock]

...for some reason cooked spinach is usually eaten chez Affectioknit during the cooler months...

...this recipe shares its directions with the Vegan Épinards à la Crème...

...Julia suggests using the cream version with braised (Vegan) meats...and the stock version with (Vegan) meats served in a cream sauce...I guess so you'd have some contrast...
...you're actually supposed to cook your spinach a little bit before you put it into the stock...but I didn't do that this time...you can see that process on the creamed spinach post though...
...so I mixed the stock and the flour...
...and then added the spinach...
...finish with the Earth Balance addition off heat...
...and I also didn't serve with the Vegan egg on top as I did with the creamed version...
...I guess I should have made a cream sauce for my seitan...
...this was good and a slightly different take on cooked spinach...

Substitutions:
Earth Balance for Butter
Vegan Stock for the brown stock

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

pp. 470-471

No comments:

Post a Comment