I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Vegan Gigot à la Moutarde

[Herbal Mustard Coating for Vegan Roast Lamb]

...Julia says that "When lamb is brushed with this mixture, garlic slivers and herbal stuff- ings are not necessary, and the lamb becomes a beautiful brown as it roasts."

...and she doesn't give any suggestions as to a sauce of any kind...so...I'm guessing we just eat it roasted plain...
...first you need to make a Vegan Roast Leg of Lamb...I used the same recipe as before...I just didn't shape it into a 'leg'...recipe for VEGAN GIGOT DE PRÉ-SALÉ RÔTI here...
...and the ingredients are quite simple...and already vegan (except for the lamb...of course)...
...I don't have any ground thyme...so I just ground some up in my little mortar and pestle...
...then you just mix everything together to make a sort of mayonnaise-y consistency...Julia says..."Beat in the olive oil by droplets to make a mayonnaise-like cream."
...and then you paint the vegan lamb with the mixture and set it on the rack of the roasting pan...
...Julia says it will pick up more flavor if it is coated several hours before roasting...obvi...
...and it did indeed roast to a lovely crispy brown...
...and we served it with lots of things...haha...it was an Easter feast...it was very good seitan too...I was a little bit worried that with the ingredients listed that it would have an 'asian' flavor...but it definitely did not...not sure I would even say that the mustard flavor is very pronounced...it was just a really good slightly crispy...savoury...and flavorful coating...

Substitutions:
VEGAN GIGOT...natch
...that's it...everything else is vegan...

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking

p. 335

2 comments: