I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

VEGAN GIGOT OU ÉPAULE DE PRÉ-SALÉ BRAISÉ (aux Haricots)

[Vegan Braised Leg or Shoulder of Lamb — with Beans]

...when I first saw this recipe with the tag (aux Haricots)...I thought it was going to be served in a bed of maybe sautéed green beans...but I was wrong...it's dry white beans...surprise...
...first you'll need some vegan lamb...this is the basic seitan recipe I use for vegan Lamb...it's really good...but shaped into a gigot...and then brown that...
...add some vegetables...Julia specifies carrots and onions...and I added some radishes...because I have a bunch...
...and brown those as well...
...then add some white wine...a bay leaf...
...I use my tea ball to hold my herbs...add some parsley, rosemary and thyme...
...add some vegan beef stock...I just used Washington's...
...then Julia specifies 3 cloves of unpeeled garlic...not sure why unpeeled...but I added one peeled clove...
...then cover the 'casserole' with foil...I'm just going to keep everything in the pot I was using for the browning...

Julia says...Place in lower third of pre- heated oven and regulate so liquid is maintained at a slow simmer. Turn and baste the meat every half hour...for 3 1/2 to 4 hours...I did not cook mine for that long...maybe 1 1/2 hours...seitan doesn't need THAT LONG...haha...
...meanwhile...cook your dry white Great Northern beans...Julia gives rather specific cooking instructions...you boil them for 2 minutes...and then let them sit for 1 hour...then add salt and simmer for one hour...
...take the vegan gigot out of the oven...Julia doesn't actually say what to do with the vegetables...
...I took them out along with the vegan gigot...and then added the beans to the casserole...
...then I put the vegan lamb back in...
...and I also added the veg back...it was really delicious...and I just didn't want to waste it...
...arrange on a platter...
...and serve...
...we had a soupe course first...I had taken the trimmings from the fresh asparagus and made a delicious vegan cream of asparagus soup...
...then we had our Vegan Gigot with fresh asparagus...and crusty homemade whole wheat bread...
...and unusual as the combination may be...it was really really delicious...

Substitutions

Vegan Lamb...of course...I used the same recipe as the VEGAN GIGOT EN CHEVREUIL
...vegan beef broth...I just used Washington's...

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 338-339)

1 comment:

  1. I agree that's an unusual combination! But the stew looks like some good comfort food. Love, K

    ReplyDelete