I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

VEGAN GRATIN DE POMMES DE TERRE AUX ANCHOIS

[Vegan Gratin of Potatoes, Onions, and Anchovies]

...this recipe is in the Entrees and luncheon dishes section instead of the potato chapter of the vegetable section...
...and I had these different coloured fingerling potatoes that I wanted to use up...
... and I gathered some vegan 'anchovy' materials...sushi nori, soy sauce, capers, and mushrooms...
...just started cooking the mushrooms...
...ground some sushi nori into granules in my old coffee grinder...for some 'fishy' flavor...
...and added that to the mushrooms along with some capers and caper juice, and some soy sauce for salty umami flavor...
...and cooked those down until they were pretty dry...
...and then I sauteed the onions in the same pan...which may not have been what Julia intended as she says to cook the onions without browning...I didn't really brown them but the leftover seasonings in the pan turned them pretty brown...haha...
...then you'll just need to make the VEGAN SAUCE BÉCHAMEL/SAUCE VELOUTÉ...
...and assemble everything in a casserole dish...
...top with the vegan anchovies...
...and vegan cheese...I used this new kind from Aldi...
...pour over some optional melted vegan butter...Julia also suggests anchovy oil...and you could make some fishy oil by sauteeing some nori in some oil if you wanted more of that flavor...
...ready for the oven...
...and baked for about 40 minutes...
...this was so delicious...I'll definitely be making this casserole again...

Substitutions:

vegan butter - we used Earth Balance
vegan cheese - we used the new one from Aldi
vegan anchovies - we used mushrooms flavored with capers, soy sauce and nori
substitutions for the VEGAN SAUCE BÉCHAMEL/SAUCE VELOUTÉ..

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (pp. 154 - 155)

1 comment:

  1. It does look yummy! Those different colored potatoes are cool.

    Love, K

    ReplyDelete