I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Vegan Sauce Brune au Cari

[Vegan Brown Curry Sauce]

...this sauce was easy to execute and it turned out quite good...a little spicy...but then it has a LOT of curry powder in it...
...start by sautéing some onions...
...add some garlic...but Julia says this is optional...
...next add a lot of curry powder...3 Tablespoons...
...cook that down for a half a minute or so...
...then add your brown sauce...we used VEGAN JUS LIÉ...
...finish with some lemon juice...Earth Balance and fresh parsley...which I did not have...so I left that off...I'm not a huge fan of fresh parsley anyway...
...I was worried that it might be too 'chunky'...and thought about using the stick blender...but it was actually pretty smooth...so I did not...
...we just served it with some plain baked tofu, rice and mixed vegetables...
...so that it could be the star of the show...
...and except for being a tad too spicy...it was really good...if you don't like it too hot...I'd probably cut down on the curry powder...or use a mild one...

Substitions

Washington's Brown Seasoning and Broth for the stock - from the Jus lié recipe
Earth Balance for the butter

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (p. 73)

2 comments:

  1. Funny we were both cooking with curry powder on the same day 2000 miles apart! I like mine spicy! Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. This all looks n sounds awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete