I'm always veganizing recipes that I love...so...I'm working my way
through all of the amazing recipes in Julia Child's
Mastering the Art of French Cooking...
...making a Vegan Version of each one...... sometimes successfully - sometimes not...Recipe Count 518/524 (from Julie's count)...but really 629

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

FROZEN SPINACH

...Julia has very few convenience foods in Mastering the Art...and when she does...the titles are in English...

...she starts the description of this dish...'Although it never has quite the lovely taste of fresh spinach, frozen spinach is certainly one of the great inventions'...and I would have to agree...

...and like her other spinach recipes...the key is to have the liquid evaporate without overcooking the spinach...
...and so...she warns us that if we're going to cook more than one box...we need to use two saucepans...so that the liquid will evaporate properly...
...you start by unwrapping the block of spinach and defrosting it...just enough so that you can slice it...
...and you cut it into roughly half inch pieces...
...and then start by melting some Earth Balance...
...add the cubed spinach...
...and season with salt...
...and pepper...Julia also uses nutmeg...but none of us are fans of nutmeg...so I left it out...
...cover and cook for a minute or two...until the spinach has released its juices...
...and then uncover and raise the heat and cook until the liquid has evaporated...

Substitutions:

Earth Balance for the Butter

Recipe here: Mastering the Art of French Cooking pp. 475 - 476

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm....that just seems unworthy of a recipe !

    But yummy, I'm sure! Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always have frozen spinach, must try this. I love nutmeg and I sometimes grate it just so that I can smell the nut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a small freezer and have never really kept spinach there - mostly peas and spring roll filo pastry, but I can def. see the virtues of frozen spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Julia Childs, but I can't watch her cooking the little furries. I love veganizing recipes, but I've not tried to veganize hers. This is great that you're doing this, and from what I saw, your recipes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete